|© Holly DeWolf- Pizza Moon! ...Amore!|
So today we learned about Pizza and it's origins. Like road trips, pizza is a pretty big deal in our house. In fact we have dedicated a whole day to it. Fat Friday is our day to make homemade cheesy goodness.
What we learned about pizza:
• In 6th Century BC- Darius the Great and his army baked a type of flat bread on their shields and then covered it with cheese and dates.
• In 79 A.D - After Mount Versuvius erupted and smothered Pompeii on August 24 (the same day of the month my youngest was born) there was evidence of a flat flour cake that was baked and widely eaten at that time in Pompeii and nearby Neopolis, The Greek colony later to became Naples.
• For many people, especially among the Italian-American population, first named pizzas as Tomato Pie. Tomato pies are made the opposite way- first the cheese, then the toppings, and then the sauce.
• There is evidence that the Babylonians, Israelites, Egyptians and other ancient Middle Eastern cultures were eating flat bread that was cooked in mud ovens.
• Thanks to Italian immigrants, mostly in New York and Chicago, helped make pizza the popular food that it is today.
• Some weird pizza toppings: Chocolate, baked-chili beans, bacon and banana, Layered seaweed, rice and eel (yuck) and cream cheese!
What we like best: homemade dough, mozza, pizza sauce, bacon, pepperoni and green pepper. Bada-Bing and Amore!
|© Reagen DeWolf- Pizzamon!|
|© Hannah DeWolf- Good Pizza!|